Wednesday, February 2, 2011

White Bean Chicken Chili

Anticipating a huge storm made me crave something warm and hearty.  Since I had been away all week, I had no food in my apartment and ventured to the food store Monday night after work to stock up.  While I was walking around, I decided to make white bean chicken chili, which I've made several times, and each time is better than before.



Ingredients:
1 Tbs canola oil
2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 Tbs chili powder (add more if you like spicy)
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cans white navy beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth (I used a little less this time because I wanted less soupy and thicker)
3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I had ground chicken in my freezer so I just used that instead)
1 diced seeded plum tomato
1 green bell pepper
1 red pepper
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 small can sliced black olives
1 small jalapeño seeded and diced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Saute ground chicken with salt and pepper in saute pan.  Set aside.
 
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion: saute 10 minutes or until tender and golden.



Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin, saute for 2 minutes.  Add oregano, beans, and veggies; cook for 30 seconds.


Add broth; bring to a simmer.  Cook 20 minutes



Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Remove from heat.  Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.  Stirring well.


Garnish with cheese, lime wedges, tortilla chips, scallions, etc.

I've been enjoying the leftovers for lunches and making the co-workers jealous.  Boom.

2 comments:

  1. Gail, this looks DELICIOUS. I must try it! Perfect for snow/lushpocalypse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, stillll salivating reading your blog muffin! wow. come to dk and cook for me woman! xo

    ReplyDelete