Sunday, February 20, 2011

Crunchy, Salty Sunday



It's no secret that I am obsessed with chips, specifically cape cod chips.  Something about the crunchy, salty, clusters of chips just gets my taste buds going.  I know, everyone loves chips or cape cod chips for that matter, but my obsession is borderline unhealthy.  Not only can I (and have done many more times than a few), but I'm actually known to house bags at a time.  I've woken up with my hand inside a bag, woken up with an empty bag as my bedside companion, and woken up with swollen salt lips after shoveling them in faster than you can blink and miss the freak show.  (Just ask Dan the man or the late night cashier at Shaw's.  I wish I was kidding.)

Anyway, after my run this morning, I had little motivation to do anything but lounge around the house.  I did some work, some cleaning, and realized I had some sweet potatoes I needed to use up before they went bad.   So, in the spirit of my race next weekend in Hyannis and my love for all things salty and crunchy, I decided to make some homemade sweet potato "cape cod" chips.

Ingredients:
1 Sweet Potato
Spray Olive Oil
Salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Peel skin off potatoes and begin peeling "slices" for chips.  You'll probably need to make these in a few batches.  Once I had enough to fill 2 cookie sheets, I sprayed the sheets with some olive oil and laid the potato peels in a single layer.  I sprayed another layer of olive oil over the potatoes and topped them off with a sprinkle of salt.

Bake for 5 - 10 minutes, depending on the level of desired crunch.  I baked mine for about 8 minutes.  Keep your eye on these, as they will burn quickly if you're not watching.

Repeat with the rest of the potato, and eat the whole bowl enjoy.


These were delicious! And very "cape cod" like.  A perfect snack for my lazy Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. mmmm, I have a sweet potato- I will need to make those... how thin did you cut them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah make them, so good! Super easy too. I used my peeler to do it, but you could probably make them a little thicker than that so they withstand the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - love it - mostly about you professing your love for cape cod chips - we have all witnessed andddd joined in ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Jill, you have witnessed and joined the ultimate freak show. god, how disgusting am I?

    ReplyDelete