Monday, January 17, 2011

Simple Soup

After a spending the long weekend in NYC visiting my best girls, I came home and wanted to make something super simple, easy, and delicious.  So, I decided to take a stab at Smitten Kitchen's silky cauliflower soup.  Having only 6 ingredients, most of which I already had in my house minus the cauliflower, it was the perfect thing to make after a long weekend away.

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper



Directions:
Remove the leaves and thick core from the cauliflower, coarsely chop, and reserve.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.  Cook until softened, but not browned, just about 5 minutes.


Add the cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil.  


Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat, and using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup, or puree in small batches in a blender and return it to the pot.


Add the Parmesan and stir until smooth.


Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.  Keep warm until ready to serve.


I had a small bowl of the soup with a small salad on the side.  This soup was good, but not great.  If I made this again, I may use a bit more cauliflower to make the soup a little thicker. But, I'll enjoy the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks so delicious!! Don;t you love the immersion blender?? Its amazing. Oh and I love that you measured the cheese. I don't think I own measuring cups (kidding)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good, but not great. A little boring if you ask me. I do love the immersion blender. And obvi I measure the cheese. Lizzy, I'm not messing around... jk jk

    ReplyDelete