Sunday, November 14, 2010

Spinach & Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Last weekend as I was shopping for the week, I noticed a sale on Acorn Squash so I picked one up as I've been wanting to try this recipe from http://yourkindofsalad.wordpress.com/.  Realizing I didn't have the necessary ingredients for the above recipe, I adapted with what I had on hand.  I must say the end result was delicious and perfect for a cold November weekday evening.

1 small/medium acorn squash halved and de-seeded
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup of dry quinoa
2 Tbs of tomato sauce
2 - 3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion 
1 cup spinach 
1 Tbs cream cheese 


Pre heat oven to 375
Spray squash with some cooking spray, spray butter, or olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place in oven for 30 minutes.

While the squash is baking....

Combine quinoa, chicken broth, tomato sauce, garlic, onion, salt, pepper in medium sauce pan until boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer until all liquids are absorbed.  



Once all liquid is absorbed, turn off heat and add spinach until wilted.  Add cream cheese and stir until melted.  Salt and Pepper to taste. 

Remove squash from oven, should be fork tender, not mushy.  Add mixture in squash and top with some shredded cheese.  I used yellow cheddar because its what I had.  Put back into oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.


...And devour.  

Funny, I was so full from the first half (and from eating almost half the cream cheese quinoa mixture before it made it into the squash) that I brought the leftover half to work the next day for lunch.  If you're ever looking for an awkward way to NOT impress your co-workers, bring in half an acorn squash stuffed with quinoa and spinach.  Definitely did the trick for me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment