Sunday, November 21, 2010

Souped Up Sunday

When Friday at 5:30 came, I couldn't have been more excited for the weekend.  This past week was a total nightmare filled with late nights, early mornings, and lots of client meetings so when "the bell" rang at 5:30, I was out the door enjoying a relaxing dinner with friends.  

Saturday morning, I was up early and off to the gym.  After a long workout, I met my friend Alexis downtown for a late lunch at Stephanie's on Newbury and headed back to my apartment to hang before a night out with the girls.  


After a quick photo session, I met two of my friends Shannon and Jackie at Vlora Restaurant for a low key dinner.  We then headed to Cactus Club (dedicated to Jill and Libby) for some after dinner drinks.

....and shots.

Needless to say, I was a bit sluggish this morning.  I dragged my butt to the gym, and headed home to make some Sweet Potato, Chicken, and Barley soup.  And it was deeeelish!  

Sweet Potato, Chicken, and Barley Soup

3 Tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Spanish onion, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 parsnips, peeled and grated (I sliced mine)
1 1/4 cups pearl barley (I used a little under a cup)
10 cups chicken broth (I used about 8)
2 bay leaves
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 bunch fresh dill, chopped
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

(Sorry for the sloppy ingredient shot)

Heat a stock pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.  Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots.  Saute' for 5 minutes.


Add the parsnips, barley, stock, and bay leaves.  bring to a boil.  Cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium.  Simmer for 25 minutes.



Add the sweet potatoes and chicken and simmer for 20 minutes longer.  Remove the bay leaves and discard. Remove from the heat and stir in the dill, vinegar, salt, and pepper.


This soup is so good and so perfect for a cold fall day.  I can't wait to eat a big bowl for dinner, and bring the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Happy early Thanksgiving everyone - and here's to a short week!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment