Monday, December 12, 2011

Looks like Chili

See?  I told you I'd be back more often...I know, I know...you're thrilled.

Anyway, the other morning I was doing some blog reading and stumbled on this recipe from Cara's Cravings.  I adapted it slightly based on what I had in my house, but I pulled this together pretty quickly and it was awesome!  Not really a chili in my book, but it looked and tasted like one with half the calories and fat.  Sweet.


Black Bean and Chorizo Chili with Swiss Chard and Butternut Squash


Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 Chile pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
5oz of turkey chorizo
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1lb peeled, diced butternut squash
2, 15oz, cans reduced sodium black beans
14oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 large bunch Swiss chard, roughly chopped
nonfat plain Greek yogurt

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.

When oil is shimmering, saute onions and peppers until onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. 







Add the garlic, chorizo, chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook for one minute more, stirring.




Add butternut squash, black beans, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high. When mixture comes to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.





Remove lid and add the swiss chard, stirring as it wilts in. If the chili seems dry, add 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer for another 5 minute, until chard is tender.





Garnish with chopped cilantro and a dollop of yogurt, if desired.





This was super flavorful and light at the same time.  For a big bowl of chili, it kept me full without weighing me down.  The Greek yogurt was a great substitution for sour cream, and added an interesting flavor.  I added some crumbled tortilla chips the next day which made it even better.  I will definitely be making this again!

1 comment:

  1. SHE'S BACK!!! And I missed you : ) Looks delicious! I made a quinoa chili last week, so good!

    ReplyDelete